Baking Powder Biscuits
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Ready Time: 30 min
- Yield: 12 Biscuits
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- PLACE flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Stir until well blended. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of peas. Add milk, stirring with fork just until flour is moistened.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Shape into ball, handling dough as little as possible. Roll into an 8-inch circle using lightly floured rolling pin. Fold in half. Repeat 3 to 5 times. Roll dough into an 8-inch square. Cut using a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. For crisper biscuits, place on prepared baking sheet 1-inch apart. For softer biscuits, arrange so that edges almost touch. Reroll scraps to cut remaining biscuits.
- BAKE 8 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown.
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS: Add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to flour mixture. Substitute buttermilk for milk.
- CHEESE BISCUITS: Stir 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese into flour-shortening mixture before adding milk.
- DROP BISCUITS: Increase milk to 1 1/4 cups. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 biscuit), Calories 130 (Calories from Fat 70), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 190mg, Total Carbohydrate 15g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.