Brown Sugar Apple Pie
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Ready Time: 165 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick well-chilled Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 3/4 cup well-chilled Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 cups peeled, cored, sliced Granny Smith apples (about 2 1/3 pounds or 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon milk (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar (optional)
- For Crust, BLEND flour and salt in large bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture using pastry blender or fork. Stir in just enough water with fork until dough holds together. Shape into 2 (1/2-inch thick) disks. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- ROLL dough for bottom crust on lightly floured surface into an 11-inch circle. Transfer to 9-inch pie plate. Trim dough even with edge of pie plate.
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Combine sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in large bowl. Add apple slices; toss to coat. Place apple mixture in unbaked pie crust. Dot filling with butter.
- ROLL out dough for top crust. Cover pie with top crust, trimming dough to 1/2-inch beyond edge. Fold edge of top crust under edge of bottom crust. Press to seal. Flute edges, as desired. Cut several small slits in top crust to vent steam. Brush top lightly with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
- BAKE 1 hour or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 520 (Calories from Fat 270), Total Fat 30g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 380mg, Total Carbohydrate 61g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 31g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.