Caramel Apple Pie with Lattice Crust
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Ready Time: 180 min
- Yield: 8 servings
- Double Crust Classic Crisco® Pie Crust
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples (about 2 lbs. or 6 medium)
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Smucker's® Caramel Flavored Topping
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- Reserved dough scraps
- Reserved egg white mixture
- Red and green food coloring
- Granulated sugar
- Smucker's® Caramel Flavored Topping
- PREPARE recipe for double crust pie. Roll out dough for bottom crust. Place in 9-inch pie plate. Press to fit without stretching dough, leaving overhang. Do not bake. Reserve dough scraps for decorations. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cornstarch in pie crust.
- TOSS apples with juices in large microwave safe bowl. In a small bowl combine 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, tapioca, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add to apples. Stir. Let stand 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- COVER bowl with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave on HIGH (100% power) 7 to 15 minutes or until apples are partially cooked and mixture starts to thicken, stirring every 4 minutes. Stir in 1⁄2 cup caramel topping. Refrigerate until cold, or place bowl in ice water.
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Spoon filling into crust. Dot with butter. Moisten pastry edge with water. Cover pie with lattice top.
- COMBINE egg white and water in small bowl; brush over lattice. Reserve extra egg white mixture. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over lattice.
- BAKE at 425°F 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Cover with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning. Bake an additional 40 minutes or until apples are tender and filling in center is bubbly.
- SPRAY a baking sheet lightly with no-stick cooking spray. Roll out reserved dough scraps. Cut out 6 to 8 apple and leaf shapes. Divide reserved egg white mixture in half. Add red food coloring to one half and green to other half. Brush apples with red mixture and leaves with green mixture; allow to dry. Brush again. Sprinkle with additional granulated sugar. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- BAKE at 375°F for 6 to 8 minutes; cool. Spread backs with caramel topping. Arrange on pie. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 510 (Calories from Fat 190), Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 450mg, Total Carbohydrate 74g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 38g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.