- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Ready Time: 60 min
- Yield: 1 cake or 3 dozen cupcakes
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2/3 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch process or regular cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat a 13 x 9-inch pan or two 9-inch round layer pans, or cupcake pans with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- BEAT shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add buttermilk, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat until blended, scraping bowl frequently. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into prepared pan(s).
- BAKE pan cake or layer cakes 25 to 30 minutes, cupcakes for 15 to 20 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- COOL layers and cupcakes on wire rack 15 minutes; remove from pans to cool completely. Cool 13 x 9 cake completely. Frost as desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 510 (Calories from Fat 180), Total Fat 20g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 2.5g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 75g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 55g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.