Cocoa Ripple Cake
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sweetened hot chocolate mix
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 (1 oz.) squares semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 2 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water, plus additional if needed
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch fluted tube pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE sugar and shortening in large bowl; beat at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs; beat well.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Add to shortening mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth after each addition. Spoon about 2 cups batter into prepared pan.
- COMBINE hot chocolate mix and walnuts; sprinkle half of mixture over batter in pan. Repeat layers, ending with batter.
- BAKE 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- TRANSFER cake to serving plate. Drizzle with Chocolate Glaze or sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- COOK and stir baking chocolate and shortening in heavy small saucepan over low heat just until melted. Remove from heat; stir in powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons hot water. Stir in additional hot water, if necessary, 1⁄2 teaspoon at a time, until glaze is smooth and of drizzling consistency. Makes about 1⁄2 cup.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 600 (Calories from Fat 230), Total Fat 26g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 75mg, Sodium 420mg, Total Carbohydrate 83g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 53g), Protein 9g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.