Crunchy Fried Fish
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Ready Time: 40 min
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 3 pounds fresh or frozen fish fillets, thawed
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Crisco® Pure Peanut Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- OR 3 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- Malt vinegar (optional)
- THAW fish if frozen. Cut into serving-size pieces if necessary. Beat egg yolks well; set aside. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- POUR oil into deep fryer; heat to 365ºF.
- SEASON 3/4 cup flour with salt and pepper in shallow dish; set aside. Combine remaining 3/4 cup flour and 2 teaspoons salt in medium bowl. Make a well in center of flour; add egg yolks, water and melted shortening. Stir until batter is smooth. Fold in egg whites. Dip fish in seasoned flour, then into batter.
- FRY several fish pieces at a time 4 to 6 minutes until golden brown or until fish flakes easily with a fork; drain on paper towels. Keep warm and continue with remaining fish pieces. Serve with malt vinegar, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 610 (Calories from Fat 340), Total Fat 38g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 135mg, Sodium 1290mg, Total Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 6g), Protein 24g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.