Fiesta Beef Pot Pie
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 2/3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Martha White® Plain Enriched Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, cut into cubes
- OR 3/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening, cut into cubes
- 5 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- OR 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 pound lean boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can Mexican style stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (8 1/2 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
GLAZE AND TOPPING
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- COMBINE flour, cornmeal and salt in a food processor. Pulse in cheese and shortening. Or use large mixing bowl and cut in with pastry blender or 2 knives. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed, mixing just until moist enough to hold together.
- ROLL out half the dough. If needed, chill dough for ease in handling. Place in 9-inch pie plate pressing to fit without stretching. Trim even with pie plate.
- HEAT oven to 400º F.
- HEAT oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned evenly. Add green pepper and onion. Cook until tender. Add tomatoes with liquid, corn, mushrooms, water, tomato paste, sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- REMOVE from heat. Stir in olives. Spoon hot filling into unbaked pie crust. Moisten pastry edge with water.
- ROLL out dough for top crust. Place onto filled pie. Trim 1/2-inch beyond edge. Fold top crust edge under bottom crust edge. Crimp and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to allow steam to escape.
GLAZE AND TOPPING
- BEAT egg with salt in a small bowl. Brush lightly over top crust.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/6 of pie), Calories 720 (Calories from Fat 440), Total Fat 49g (Saturated Fat 16g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 105mg, Sodium 1290mg, Total Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 8g), Protein 23g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 15%, Iron 25%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.