Soft Buttered Pretzels
- Prep Time: 100 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Ready Time: 120 min
- Yield: 12 pretzels
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- OR Pillsbury BEST™ Unbleached All Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 oz.) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Pretzel salt, sesame or poppy seeds
- COMBINE 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast in medium bowl. Blend well. Heat 1 cup water and shortening in small saucepan to 100° to 110°F. Add liquid to flour mixture. Blend at low speed of an electric mixer until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in by hand an additional 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups flour or until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl. Knead in 1/2 to 3/4 cup flour on floured surface, until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in a warm place (80° to 85°F) until light and doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- SPRAY 2 cookie sheets with no-stick cooking spray. Punch down dough. Divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 16-inch rope. Form into pretzel shape. Place on prepared cookie sheets. Cover. Let rise in warm place about 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust oven rack to top position. Heat oven to 400°F. Combine 6 cups water and baking soda in a shallow sided saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Slowly drop pretzels into water, one at a time, cooking 15 seconds on each side. Remove from water with slotted spoon. Return to cookie sheet. Sprinkle with pretzel salt, sesame or poppy seeds.
- BAKE 8 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Bake 2 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Brush generously with remaining butter. Serve warm.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 72 cookies), Calories 90 (Calories from Fat 40), Total Fat 4.5g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 70mg, Total Carbohydrate 12g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 7g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
* Ensure all recipe ingredients are gluten free by referencing the ingredient labels, as products may vary. If uncertain, contact the ingredient manufacturer.